IBM Replaceable server components guidelines:-
There are four types (read Categories), of IBM replaceable components.
- Purchase and replacement of consumables (components, such as batteries and printer cartridges, that have depleting life) is your responsibility. If IBM acquires or installs a consumable component at your request, you will be charged for the service.
- Tier 1 customer replaceable unit (CRU):
- Replacement of Tier 1 CRUs is your responsibility. If IBM installs a Tier 1 CRU at your request, you will be charged for the installation.
- Tier 2 customer replaceable unit:
- You may install a Tier 2 CRU yourself or request IBM to install it, at no additional charge, under the type of warranty service that is designated for your server.
- Field replaceable unit (FRU):
- FRUs must be installed only by Trained service technicians.
When ordering parts, please have the 7-digit part number available at the time the order is being placed.
- Marketing part numbers are used to purchase a product as an additional accessory or upgrade for your computer.
- Field replacement unit (FRU) part numbers are service part numbers used to replace a defective part currently installed or attached to your computer.
Figure 1: A sample representation of an IBM SR630 server; showing parts that we typically stock at Tekmart Africa.