Software: | Microsoft | Linux
Servers power your company's network, but server software drives yourservers. Shop a large selection of web server software right here at Tekmart.
A server OS and server applications are needed to connect the different parts of a system and ensure there is no battle for resources and no problems with running it. A simple analogy is that to operate a printer you have to install the necessary drivers. Moving beyond this simple explanation, different servers must fulfill various operations: a university server should provide students with access to scholarly databases while an e-commerce one must have the ability to handle millions of credit card transactions to meet customer demands. To satisfy these roles, servers need specific server software and applications, which “serves data to client software” on request.
The task of selecting a good server OS largely depends on the hardware available, the software system requirements, the databases and programming languages already present, budget limitations, and the main purpose of the server. The three most used OSs are:
- Linux, a specialized variant of Unix, which is growing in popularity because of its flexibility and open source nature
- Windows Server variants, with a more stringent support model (which also costs more), and which offer different versions depending on business size and needs.
- Unix, in various varieties paid and free, which is perhaps the oldest and most ‘established’ solution.
A comprehensive list of server applications includes:
- Proxy servers
- Mail and Groupware Servers
- Web servers
- Real-Time Communication Servers
- FTP (File Transfer Protocol) Servers
- Collaboration Servers
- List Servers
- Telnet Servers
- Web Servers
- Fax Servers
- File and Print Servers
*Please don't hesitate to contact us on 0861 711 712 (within RSA) or +2711 027 6793 (International) should you require a specific brand and/or different software solution(s) from our listing. Alternatively email us at email@example.com with your request. Our sales consultants will gladly assist you with your purchase*.